From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-26 04:00:17

I'd been wondering this, and heard about TLS issues. The issues are
only on Windows it appears. Search for the thread

"Fwd: Thread-Local Storage (TLS) and templates" by Greg Colvin on 18/02/2003

Specifically, the many posts by William Kempf and Edward Diener discuss
the problems on windows with TLS cleanup.

I do have a question on this issue: If this problem is only to do with
TLS cleanup when a thread exits, then if all threads are created when
the program starts and only destroyed when the program exited, then, in
practice, could this really be an issue? I.e. if we only work like
this, could building thread as a static lib cause problems providing
that we don't let threads exit in the middle of the program? We're
currently really trying to stay clear of any DLLs.

Cheers

Russell