From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-26 09:46:32

Russell Hind said:
> I'd been wondering this, and heard about TLS issues. The issues are
> only on Windows it appears. Search for the thread
>
> "Fwd: Thread-Local Storage (TLS) and templates" by Greg Colvin on
> 18/02/2003
>
> Specifically, the many posts by William Kempf and Edward Diener discuss
> the problems on windows with TLS cleanup.
>
> I do have a question on this issue: If this problem is only to do with
> TLS cleanup when a thread exits, then if all threads are created when
> the program starts and only destroyed when the program exited, then, in
> practice, could this really be an issue? I.e. if we only work like
> this, could building thread as a static lib cause problems providing
> that we don't let threads exit in the middle of the program? We're
> currently really trying to stay clear of any DLLs.

Theoretically at least, I don't see why this would cause a problem. You
intentionally leak, but the leak is benign since it occurs only right
before the application exits. But most users won't code this way, nor do
I want to have to deal with the support requests/questions this would
cause. So, unless you have some suggestion as to how I can enable this
usage with out causing confusion, I'm not sure I'd care to re-enable
static builds. But you could probably fairly easily hack things to build
that way yourself.

--
William E. Kempf