From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmutkaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-11 07:18:26

David Abrahams wrote:

> > 1. Request for formal Boost review, i.e. try to make Wave a
> 'normal'
> > library inside of Boost. For this we have to see, if there
> is enough
> > interest for such a beast (besides to be a preprocessor
> application,
> > Wave is a preprocessor library, so this may be an option).
>
> It's not really a library unless it's going to be linked with
> other code, is it?

Wave is a library, which exposes an iterator, which in turn returns
preprocessed C/C++ tokens.

The Wave application is in fact a very thin driver program, which takes
the command line arguments, instantiates and initializes the iterator(s)
and puts out the string representation of the tokens it gets from the
iterator.

IMHO such a preprocessing C/C++ lexer may be intersting not only for the
Wave application itself, but for others too.

> > 2. Include the Wave application as a supporting tool (as bjam or
> > boostbook) into the /boost/tools directory (does this require a
> > separate review?)
>
> I don't think so. We haven't reviewed any boostbook
> processors or the build system.
>
> > 3. Include Wave as a preprocessor tool just inside and as a part of
> > the Boost.Preprocessor library for those people, who is
> interested in
> > experimenting with Pauls strict pp-lib (codename 'Chaos').
>
> Hmm, sounds wrong to me.
>
> 4. Include wave as a Spirit sample application

Yeah, I thought of this too. But this would contradict the Spirit
Development plans to separate the Spirit library from its applications
to ease overall maintenance.

> But I like #2 I think...

I'd like the idea mentioned by Martin Wille to combine 1) and 2).
Thoughts?

Regards Hartmut