From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-15 02:02:04

C compatibility is deemed very highly desirable by many, even BS Himself!
Even if a C++ exceptional version is better as well as more Politically Correct.

But there may be more than one way to achieve that, and any case, for most
functions the hard bit is the algorithm, its size, speed, accuracy, accuracy at
limits, and testing.

There seems to an argument that using templates & exceptions will make it less
likely to become a C++ Standard. It may be regrettable but true.

So I would not discourage you at all. But do look at the prior art first.
Moshier's Cephes is the best C implementation (and best book) I have found (but
unsuitable licence), but there are many contributions in F*****N which actually
work well (and perhaps better).

NIST have an on-going project to update A&S too (but a book, not code).

Paul

PS Kolmogorov-Smirnov statistics could indeed usefully be added.

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]