From: Vesa Karvonen (vesa_karvonen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-20 18:19:43

Vesa Karvonen:
>David Abrahams:
>>Vesa Karvonen:
>>>The estimate that a nearly optimal interpreter might be just 2x-10x
>>>slower than the language in which the interpreter is implemented is
>>>based on the simple observation that such numbers hold for modern
>>>interpreters.
>>
>>Heh, I'm having trouble with that extrapolation.
>
>Well, I certainly hope that my extrapolation would not be too inaccurate.

I have now implemented a subset of the language I described in my previous
post. It turns out that my extrapolation is not completely bogus. It is
definitely possible to get reasonable performance from the interpreter. This
is especially true when using built-in operators of the language. For
example, arithmetic is basically just as fast in the interpreter as in the
Boost.PP library (using BOOST_PP_[ADD|SUB|MUL]). Of course, it is possible
to implement faster arithmetic on the preprocessor than the current Boost.PP
implementation. Even with much faster arithmetic, interpretation speed, for
simple arithmetic, should still be well within the 2x-10x range.

>>For one thing, the languages in which most interpreters are implemented
>>are specifically chosen for their ability to express the efficient and
>>low-level operations needed to make the interpreters go fast -- a property
>>which is manifestly not applicable to the preprocessor.
>
>[..*relative speed*..]

Actually, it is true that the C preprocessor has been intentionally
crippled, but it has the basic characteristics of an almost ideal language
for the implementation of *embedded* interpreters. The main reason is that
such an interpreter can relatively easily manipulate C preprocessor data
(including macro identifiers and macro parameter lists). Memory management
is fully automatic. It is also relatively easy to express limited pattern
matching using the C preprocessor, which makes the manipulation of algebraic
or inductive data types, such as syntax trees, relatively easy.

An interesting feature of the interpreter is that it implements a wide range
of control structures. First of all, the interpreter is essentially
tail-recursive, which means that recursive loops do not "blow the stack".
Like the previously implemented evaluators for the lambda-calculus (BTW, I
now have much more efficient versions of those evaluators than the versions
I posted earlier to the list), the interpreter also has lexical binding and
anonymous functions. The interpreter has a special form 'exit(expr)', which
immediately stops the interpreter and expands to the evaluated value of
'expr'. ('exit' can be used for producing readable error messages when a
program detects an error (e.g. in an assertion).) The interpreter also
directly supports continuations with the special form 'call_cc(f)' (exactly
like call/cc in Scheme). I'm currently finishing the implementation of
direct support for exception handling (i.e. 'try(expr,handler)' and
'throw(expr)' special forms). The interpreter also has a special form
'eval(expr)' (exactly like eval in Scheme).

It has been very easy to implement these features in the interpreter. For
example, the support for continuations requires only a couple of macros -
and it has zero performance hit on programs that do not use continuations.
The same holds for exception handling. It would probably be practically
impossible to provide similar constructs (e.g. exit, exception handling and
continuations) in full generality in a C preprocessor combinator library
like Boost.PP.

-Vesa