From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-22 20:35:40

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Remember that the C++ committee includes active long-time members from
> Japan, and that as one of the ten or twelve voting delegations to the
> WG21 ISO portion of the committee, their views carry a great deal of
> weight. Even if everyone else is asleep, the Japanese delegation will
> politely remind us of the importance of internationalization, and
> particularly character-width, issues.

On the other hand, everyone I've spoken to who's had to do serious
internationalization for Japanese environments has said that Unicode
was ultimately useless for them -- what they really needed was to be
able to deal with the various variable-length encoding schemes that
have evolved there over the years.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting