From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-23 06:43:02

At 09:35 PM 4/22/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Remember that the C++ committee includes active long-time members from
>> Japan, and that as one of the ten or twelve voting delegations to the
>> WG21 ISO portion of the committee, their views carry a great deal of
>> weight. Even if everyone else is asleep, the Japanese delegation will
>> politely remind us of the importance of internationalization, and
>> particularly character-width, issues.
>
>On the other hand, everyone I've spoken to who's had to do serious
>internationalization for Japanese environments has said that Unicode
>was ultimately useless for them -- what they really needed was to be
>able to deal with the various variable-length encoding schemes that
>have evolved there over the years.

I think what they mean is that the UTF-32 or UTF-16 encodings are useless
to them as an external encoding of Unicode. Rather, they need UTF-8,
shift-JIS, or other MBCS external encodings of Unicode.

That doesn't mean that UTF-32 or UTF-16 Unicode encodings are useless as
internal program data types. In fact, the main complaint about wchar_t is
that it doesn't handle UTF-32 or UTF-16 reliably. I'm under the impression
that Mori, the author of the C language Unicode TR proposal which is
supposed to remedy that, is from Japan and that his proposal has wide
support there.

--Beman