From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-24 16:23:22

At 11:41 AM 4/24/2003, Robin.Hu wrote:

> I just found that boost::progress_timer behaviors different from
>win32 to posix. This is because the clock function's return is not same
>on these two platformes. Do you all think this is a bug, or a intented
>featuer?
>
>man 3 clock
>
>DESCRIPTION
> The clock() function determines the amount of processor time used
>since
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> the invocation of the calling process, measured in CLOCKS_PER_SECs
of
> second.
>
>MSDN April 2003
>
> Calculates the wall-clock time used by the calling process.
> clock_t clock( void );

The timer classes were implemented using only the standard library.

Boost has become more sophisticated, and we aren't so afraid of libraries
that have to use platform API's for implementation.

IIRC, Jeff Garland has suggested that the timer library be reviewed to see
if it should be modified, replaced, or integrated with the date-time
library. Probably a good idea, but languishing for lack of time.

--Beman