From: Bo Persson (bop2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-02 04:33:10

"Justin M. Lewis" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote

> And, while YOU may personally never use it,
> that doesn't mean no one will.

Of course not. But you asked if we liked your idea, and some of us obviously
don't. We also try to point out *why* we don't like it.

Many of the examples used in this thread looks like

f(x, y, z)

which is *not* the way you actually write a program. Ideally objects should
be named to reflect their use, so you don't have to look around for their
"real" meaning.

Having gone from C with pointer parameters and hungaring notation to C++
with const reference, a function call has changed from

display(&sz_name);

display(name)

which I personally find *soo* much better.

You now suggest that I should write this

display(out(name))

which I don't find *any* improvement at all.

If I catch a guy modifying the parameters in a function called display(), I
would consider hitting him with a blunt instrument, not adding an extra
interface layer.

Bo Persson
bop2_at_[hidden]