From: Justin M. Lewis (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-02 03:42:24

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel de Guzman" <djowel_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [boost] in/out parameters,
codingstylesandmaintenance[was:classproposal]

> Justin M. Lewis wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I follow the comments below, except ultimately that you
> > don't like the idea.
>
> Wierd. I thought the opposite. I too have always liked the idea
> of clear in out parameters. However, just like Paul, bluntly speaking,
> I am convinced that your implementation of the idea is of little value
> in C++.
>
> > As I see it, these in/out and out params come at no runtime cost.
> > And they help make clear otherwise potentially confusing function
> > calls. They would save you the trouble of having to hunt down all
> > kinds of functions to find out if and when you can expect your
> > variables to change.
>
> Your intent is good. However, you cannot claim that we'll all be
> saved from the "trouble of having to hunt down all kinds of functions",
> unless, and that's a big unless... *ALL* functions and function calls are
> retrofitted with your inout solution. If this is not done wholesale,
> the programmer will still be uncertain as to which functions will modify
> his argument. I imagine him faced with a function call:

You're right, I can't claim that this will be used in all code, in all
projects, throughout the universe. I don't think I've ever made that claim,
like anything else, it's up to the people writing the code to adhere to
coding guidelines. The POINT here is, you CAN use this library in a project
to make your intent clear at the point a function is called. And, this
whole point of retrofitting, am I the only person planning on writing new
code ever? You don't need to retrofit EVERYTHING to put a new idea to use.
You can choose to just start using it going forward, or pick it up at the
beginning of the next project. And, while YOU may personally never use it,
that doesn't mean no one will.