From: Tanton Gibbs (thgibbs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-03 14:57:33

>When you say, let's try an actual example, what do you expect, do you want
>me to write a whole program? I would think that anyone who's been doing
>software work, especially anyone who has ever supported old code, would
have
>seen examples of exactly what I'm talking about. But, outside of that,
I've
>given plenty of examples.

I've been following this thread the entire way through, and I believe that
most of what can be said, has been. I would like to point out to the OP
that arguing with people will never make then agree with you, it will just
increase their willingness to disagree. However, what might actually change
some minds is what you said in the first sentence above, use this in an
actual program. I am of the opinion that too many seemingly bright ideas
get implemented and used without being adaquately examined in a real
environment. Therefore, on your next project, try this code out. If you
already have, then upload the program in the files section and we'll look at
it and determine then. Honestly, I can't really see the point. If I don't
know what a function does, I would rather look it up and find out. It
really doesn't matter to me if it changes it's input or not if I don't even
know what the function is supposed to do. I know you mentioned that it is a
nightmare to do with hundreds of functions, but with modern editiors, it is
not that hard of a task, and can be performed fairly trivially in emacs, vi,
or Visual C++. To me, the out and in_out functions merely clutter the code
up and only provide minimal benefits. You asked for our opinions, and we
gave them to you. I'm sorry you find them displeasing, but I hope they'll
help you in the future.

Good luck, and let us know when you get a file uploaded so that we can
examine it.

Tanton