From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-23 08:07:53

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Try to convince Dimov that policy-based designs/interfaces aren't
> that bad; and that, in general, the stuff managed by smart pointers
> isn't necessarily process-wide/thread-shared stuff "by default"...
> like global heap, current working directory, etc.

Policy based designs aren't bad. It's just that when I look at
boost::shared_ptr I see std::shared_ptr. The existing practice is that
things in the standard library are as thread safe as an int "by default".
Nobody complains that std::string should have a threading model parameter
since it can be (much) more efficient if it's only accessed from a single
thread.