From: Paul A Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-08 09:56:53

A Mini-recapitulation of the _long_ saga so far:

Briefly I propose many different representations for constants,
because after much discussion and experimentation, no
universally-acceptable format and no disadvantage-free format has
been found.

1 We agree on the need for accurate mathematical constants
- pi, e, sqrt(2) for a start, but many others are 'essential' to
some people.

2 Physical constants are a separate matter for their accuracy is not
constant.

3 Some constants cannot be calculated accurately by current
compilers because they use 'built-in' hardware floating-point, and
this is unlikely to change. Only constants calculated with a higher
precision software system, like NTL,
will ensure that the constant is stored
as accurately as the floating-point hardware will allow.

4 40 decimal digits are sufficient for all practical purposes
(except intervals see below), and compilers are (or really should
be) capable of reading decimal digits into their various internal
formats (float, double, long double).

5 A C++ naming scheme for math constants has been devised which is
at least acceptable (if inevitably a compromise).

6 Control of precision is essential, but there is opposition to a
C-style solution using three names for each constant, for example:
float pi_F, double pi_D, long double pi_L. Nor, in Boost
discussions, did use of namespaces to separate different precisions
seem acceptable.

7 There are dozens of constants that some users rate 'essential'.
Splitting into several #include files still risks violating the
"don't pay for what you don't use" principle.

8 Only MACROS provide a simple way of avoiding some cost for
constants you don't use. (but Boosters expressed strong opposition
to MACROs because they pollute the global namespace, even if #undefs
are provided).

9 Users extremely strongly prefer to write "float area = pi * r * r;"

10 There is evidence that some compilers can generate better code
from functions like "double pi() { return 3.1459;}"
but that this implies writing pi() instead of plain "long double pi". So
the ()s remain a major issue.

Michael Kenniston had a previous interesting suggestion
but which did not seem entirely satisfactory.
He has now produced another which is attached.
Briefly, this allows 'novice' users to write "pi" but
get the effect of "pi()" without too many precision surprises. Yet
it still allows the 'expert' to write "pi()" and control precision
explicitly. But there remain some disadvantages - see FAQ.

11 Finally the acceptance of the Interval Library into Boost means
there is a real need for intervals containing constants - upper and
lower limits. Examples have been calculated as 'exact representations'
and
discussed before. This increases the number of constants potentially
required to achieve the required accuracy (for example, 2_pi
interval IS needed).