From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-08 20:59:24

At 09:12 AM 6/5/2003, Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> > There've been a fair amount of suggested changes, many of which are
>> > documented on Wiki [1], and since the author himself keeps track of
>> > the issues, I won't reiterate them here - except for stressing the
>> > need for
>> >
>> > a) extensively reworked and extended documentation, and
>>
>> Completely agree.
>>
>> > b) resolving the 'wchar_t' support issue before the library makes
>> > into official Boost distribution.
>>
>> I'm actually not that happy about solving general issue alone...
>
>You don't have to. I am sure a lot of people on this list have dealt
>with the issue and would be happy to help you out.

There may be a confusion here. Lots of people have experience with wchar_t
and other non-char types in applications where the internal and external
character set, type, size, and encoding are all the same.

But I think command line arguments have to interoperate with the operating
system. That means the internal and external character set, type, size,
or encoding may be different. While some people have experience with
character set conversions on specific operating systems, finding people who
have solutions which work portably across multiple operating systems is
much harder.

--Beman