From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-08 20:44:04

At 10:48 AM 6/4/2003, Vladimir Prus wrote:

>Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>>
>> b) resolving the 'wchar_t' support issue before the library makes into
>> official Boost distribution.
>
>I'm actually not that happy about solving general issue alone... but let
it
>be. I assume I've not asked to implement any specific approach, and can
>decide myself?

I've just about finished an extensive analysis of the issues involved when
wchar_t and other non-char types are used in filenames. Many of these
issues, including the key interoperability requirements, will apply to
command line arguments or any other communication where the character type,
size, or encoding differs between internal use in a user program and
external use by the operating system.

It would be unwise and chaotic for the Boost filesystem and command line
libraries to have different external to internal conversion behaviors.

Also, those issues are fairly orthogonal to the other big picture aspects
of a command line library design.

All that argues for not trying to add wchar_t support to the command line
library right away.

--Beman