From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-09 13:03:39

Alisdair Meredith wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> Do realize that people are different and that my programming
>> preference is almost always to use a GUI interface over command
>> lines as long as the GUI interface lets me do what I want to
>> accomplish. Of course I write actual code in a fancy editor just
>> like everyone else ?g?. I will dig into the .pdf version of the link
>> first, although my initial reaction to CVS was not joyful, but I am
>> sure it can not be that arcane to use.
>
> I am the same, guess I come from the GUI generation <g>
> [Which probably means I learned to write code on Windows]
>
> I had no problem bringing down the boost libraries through WinCVS
> though. I simply copy/pasted the 2 commands given with the
> SourceForge
> docs into the Admin | Command line box. I don't care so much what
> they
> did (I can work this out if necessary) but from now on I can
> snchronize
> with a single click, and never need visit the command line options
> again <g>
>
> As Dave says, I am missing a lot of the power of CVS hiding behind the
> GUI, but for now I am not desperately missing those features either.
> Maybe if I needed write access?

Attempting to use the first command from WinCVS I get:

"cvs -d:pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous_at_[hidden]:2401:/cvsroot/boost
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.sourceforge.net: 0: No
such file or directory"

No doubt something else is set up incorrectly, but I have no idea what.