From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-09 13:20:38

At 11:17 AM 6/8/2003, David Abrahams wrote:

>"John Maddock" <jm_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've put together a small tool for managing boost dependencies called
bcp
>> (for boost copy).
>>
>> The bcp utility is a tool for extracting subsets of Boost, it's useful
>> for
>> Boost authors who want to distribute their library separately from
Boost,
>> and for Boost users who want to distribute a subset of Boost with their
>> application.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> As usual comments etc are most welcome,
>
>All I can say is that this is totally awesome, and thank you.

It really is neat!

>> also should a utility/tool such as this go through the review
>> process
>
>I don't think it needs to. We review libraries, but traditionally
>tools are just checked in if they seem useful or are known to be
>needed. This one is.

I agree with Dave. The tools stuff is basically an administrative function,
and traditionally Boosters have been willing to leave the admin decisions
to the moderators. I do think it is useful to ask for comments before
adding a major section to tools.

I downloaded the .zip file and glanced at the contents. Looks very nice
indeed. I'd say definitely add it to tools. Maybe in a directory with a
more meaningful name than just bcp.

One additional thought: tools/inspect/cvs_iterator.hpp provides roughly
similar functionality to some of the code in bcp. Maybe we should
factor out the functionality so it is generally available for recursing
through any (including non-Boost) CVS tree. (That's a quick thought, not a
considered opinion:-)

Thanks!

--Beman