From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-09 13:17:46

The prototype for an input stream is:

explicit basic_istream(
   basic_streambuf<Elem, Tr> *_Strbuf <>
);

That is, every stream must be bound to a streambuf when it is constructed. Same
goes for output streams.

otherthings such as ifstream, cin, etc. are derivations, specializations and/or
typedefs based on the above.

The streambuf implementation can be selected independantly of the stream
formating. This the source of the appeal of enhancing streambuf.

Robert Ramey