From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-13 09:15:55

Ulrich Eckhardt said:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 17:05, William E. Kempf wrote:
>> JOLY Loic said:
>> > 1/ Dynamic libraries
>> > Although I compiled boost with the option "-sBUILD=debug release
>> <runtime-link>static/dynamic", the library is still generated as a
>> DLL. I do not exactly know what is meant by "static" in this case.
>>
>> <runtime-link> specifies how you link against the C RTL, not what type
>> of library will be built.
>>
>> Currently (and for the forseeable future), Boost.Threads will only
>> produce dynamic link libraries. Read the mail archives for a detailed
>> explanation of why.
>
> There is on rather hackish way to use static linkage. We simply setup
> three .cpp-files that included the .cpp-files from out of the boost
> sourcetree. Works fine for 1.28 and 1.29 and only required one
> conditional for 1.30. If there is interest, I can post these files here
> (I'm not at work atm...).

Prior to 1.30 there'd have been no need to do this. Most of Boost.Threads
was a static library. The exception was thread_mon.dll which was required
for thread_specific_ptr<>, and there's simply no way out on that one, it
must be a DLL.

The Boost.Threads implementation will be relying on TLS data internally
very shortly... at which point there will be no way to "hack" the code
into a static library, so I wouldn't recommend doing so now. Sorry.

--
William E. Kempf