From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-13 11:08:38

Glen Knowles wrote:
>From: Beman Dawes [mailto:bdawes_at_[hidden]]
> >There are a bunch of reasons - but particularly it would be creating
> >names that will just be rejected by many (or even most) modern operating
> >systems. What would be the point of that? It is the same as with requests
> >for allowing full URI syntax in paths; without any mechanism in the
> >operational functions allowing those paths, what would be the point?

>The point is that there is a common need for parsing, combining, and
>otherwise manipulating URI and other paths prior to forwarding them to
>another system that processes that format. This may not be a mission of the
>filesystem library, but it is an important use case.

Should there thus be a library for manipulating URLs, e.g. in boost::url?
You could then manipulate URLs, extract relevant information, get the URL as
a string and so on.

It could also provide a binding to the filesystem library using either
operating system functionality (if available) or using a mapping table (a
map of url base strings and path bases).

Should the URL library recognise "//host/..." style syntax as well as things
like "http://host/..." and "ftp://host/..."?

NOTE: I do not have a library like this written, nor do I currently have the
knowledge to implement one.

Regards,
Reece

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger