From: Greg Comeau (comeau_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-17 08:57:04

In article <u65n5kaxk.fsf_at_[hidden]>,
David Abrahams <jamboost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>gclbb-jamboost_at_[hidden] writes:
>>In article <uptlgcdjo.fsf_at_[hidden]>,
>>David Abrahams <jamboost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>My guess is that Comeau is being held to a higher standard because
>>>people are motivated to get it to check their code for conformance.
>>
>> This just enhances my confusion then, since then
>> I'm not sure what http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs
>> and respective sublinks reflect [across tools].
>
>They reflect whether the library works with a particular toolset given
>the build instructions we have prepared for the library.
>
>Often failures also correlate to problems in the toolset.

My observation, which may be incorrect, is that the
build instructions are each different, and so therefore,
when I look at regression results, I see tables,
through which it seems natural to compare them.
But if the build instruction are different, then
they are, at least partially, uncomparable, or
at least more information about the raw tables
need to be present and/or clarified.

As per my other posts, it's clear they are different
because compilers are different, or options may be
different. But it's one thing to say expect the
same results when compiling boost with say optimization
off and then with optimization on, but it seems to
me that's on a different level when different definitions
of C++ are being requested across instructions.
I realize that different bugs in different compilers
lend to certain situations, options, etc. but those
seem to be transparent to at least the casual observer.

On a more general note... what are the regression results for?
Who is supposed to be their readers?
What information is one supposed to gleam from perusing them?
What should one walk away from them knowing or saying?

--
Greg Comeau/ 4.3.0.1: FULL CORE LANGUAGE, INCLUDING TC1
Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==>     http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout