From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-17 09:53:49

comeau_at_[hidden] (Greg Comeau) writes:

> In article <u65n5kaxk.fsf_at_[hidden]>,
> David Abrahams <jamboost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>gclbb-jamboost_at_[hidden] writes:
>>>
>>> This just enhances my confusion then, since then
>>> I'm not sure what http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs
>>> and respective sublinks reflect [across tools].
>>
>>They reflect whether the library works with a particular toolset given
>>the build instructions we have prepared for the library.
>>
>>Often failures also correlate to problems in the toolset.
>
> My observation, which may be incorrect, is that the
> build instructions are each different

different between libraries or toolsets?

Naturally, toolsets have different command-line options with different
meanings, so of course the final build instructions (command-lines)
need to differ across toolsets. Generally a library's Jamfile will
avoid using any toolset-specific settings.

Naturally, libraries have different requirements and, well, source
files, so the of course the build instructions for different
libraries will differ.

I guess I don't understand how you could expect it to be otherwise.

> and so therefore, when I look at regression results, I see tables,
> through which it seems natural to compare them. But if the build
> instruction are different, then they are, at least partially,
> uncomparable, or at least more information about the raw tables need
> to be present and/or clarified.

It probably wouldn't hurt for us to capture the command-lines used by
either making a separate "bjam -n -a" run part of the regression process or
simply by adding "-d+2" to the bjam command-line and capturing the
build instructions in the log. The 2nd one would only capture
instructions for things that needed to be rebuilt, while the first
would be more verbose.

> As per my other posts, it's clear they are different
> because compilers are different, or options may be
> different. But it's one thing to say expect the
> same results when compiling boost with say optimization
> off and then with optimization on, but it seems to
> me that's on a different level when different definitions
> of C++ are being requested across instructions.

Across instructions? What do you mean by instructions?

> I realize that different bugs in different compilers
> lend to certain situations, options, etc. but those
> seem to be transparent to at least the casual observer.

I don't know what you mean by transparent nor can I tell whether you
are saying this is a good, bad, or neutral thing.

> On a more general note... what are the regression results for?

To indicate the health of any library and what compilers it's likely
to work with OOTB.

> Who is supposed to be their readers?

Developers and users.

> What information is one supposed to gleam from perusing them?
                                      ^^^^^
How shiny the library is ;-)

You might also infer how good a compiler's language support is in
some cases, but that takes a much more sophisticated view.

> What should one walk away from them knowing or saying?

Thanks to everyone who works on Boost testing; it's great to be able
to tell which libraries are healthy and great to know that Boost
tries to maintain its libraries in good working order!

I guess.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting