From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-25 20:28:47

Glen Knowles wrote:

> _ptr has a very specific meaning in CORBA as well, you must explicitly
> manage the deletion of the object yourself, like, well... a pointer. If
> you must use the CORBA namings this, at my first look, seems closer to
> _var then _ptr. At which point I also think _ref is a better choice.

well, right, I was thinking of the relationship between _ptr (proxy) and
servant, not of the _ptr <-> proxy relationship.

I don't think _ptr means that the object in question is a pointer to a
proxy (and the _ptr <-> _var distinction really is about the proxy
management), but pointer-to-the-servant. In that sense there is no
semantic difference between _ptr and _var.

Anyways, I don't really have any preference, so if everybody here would
be more comfortable with _ref I can certainly switch. I just don't want
to go back and forth all day :-)

Regards,
                Stefan