From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-26 08:53:16

Paul A. Bristow said:

> [...]

It looks simple, but would it be legally binding? For instance, say I
release my software with this Boost license today, using the above text
(and assuming the links point to the license, of course). Now, a year
from now something is found to be problematic with the license and the
lawyers tweak it. I can see a case being made that existing projects
could from that point on be changed to be covered by this new license, but
previous releases would seem to have to be legally bound to the license as
it existed then. The above links, however, will not refer to this older
license, but to the newer license. This seems to make the above scheme a
little legally shakey, no? I thought you had to physically include the
license with distributions and have the individual file licenses refer to
this distributed license?

That's obviously a question for the lawyers, as us laymen will only be
guessing ;).

But it would be nice to just refer to the license instead of repeating it
in every single file.

--
William E. Kempf