From: Kevin Lynch (krlynch_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-27 12:59:54

Alisdair Meredith wrote:
> Gregory Colvin wrote:
>

>>It seems that doing it by reference to a web page amounts to Boost
>>reserving
>>the right to change terms in the future, possibly to the disadvantage
>>of the
>>authors and users. But I see lots of code that refers to the GPL that
>>way,
>>so this is another question for the lawyers.
>

> Oh, I'd missed that. I assumed the link would reference the license in
> the downloaded distribution, rather than the online version. That way
> you are bound to the license you downloaded, rather than a license
> potentially changing without your notice.

Most licenses solve this issue by version numbering, don't they? The
GPL certainly does. A typical license reference for a GPLed file:

* This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
* modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public
* License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
* version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

You wouldn't necessarily want to include the "any later version" clause,
but boost might want to version the license...

> Plus, not all PCs with Boost distributions are going to have Internet
> connections. In these cases you really do need to include the license
> with the distribution. [Especially as you are binding distribution of
> the license as a requirement (in appropriate circumstances)]

I would agree with that.

Kevin Lynch				voice:	(617) 353-6025
Physics Department			Fax: (617) 353-9393
Boston University			office:	 PRB-361
590 Commonwealth Ave.			e-mail:	 krlynch_at_[hidden]
Boston, MA 02215 USA			http://budoe.bu.edu/~krlynch