From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-30 09:31:57

Maxim Egorushkin said:
> Hello,
>

> I've been missing a feature in the thread library: managing a thread
> priority. And, BTW, the class encapsulating stopwatch functionality with
> a millisecond precision would be very useful. It would help writing more
> portable programs (as boost::thread is portable).

Priorities are implemented, but still undergoing design changes, in the
thread_dev branch. The timer, if I understand what you want, is trivial
to implement portably with the current Boost.Threads interfaces, but I do
plan on addressing this as well.

> I'm aware of the fact that it's very operating system specific. But I do
> think that it could be done with elegance and ease in the spirit the
> whole library adhere. The first thing to come in mind is to add a couple
> of member functions to boost::thread like this:
>
> class thread
>
> {
>
> // ...
>
> void increase_priority();
>
> void decrease_priority();

Not that useful, IMO. Usually you want to set a specific priority, and
this interface would require several calls to do so. Further, these calls
can fail, so should probably have bool return types.

> // ...
>
> };
>

> I'd really love to have this abilities in the boost::thread.
>
> Please, tell me, whether it's possible?

Difficult to design portably, but possible.

--
William E. Kempf