From: Gabriel Dos Reis (gdr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-13 03:01:17

jhr.walter_at_[hidden] (Joerg Walter) writes:

> [...]
| > |
| > | In essence: setting -fabi-version=0 should solve the problem.
| >
| > On the other hand if your native compiler is GCC and your system was
| > not configured with that setting, then you may get into trouble --
| > since you'll be mixing translation units with different ABIs.
|
| It sounds as if GCC 3.3 itself could be affected by -fabi-version=?. If say
| for example libstdc++ isn't binary compatible when build with
| different -fabi-version settings don't we have two different compilers
| depending on configure's -fabi-version then?

-fabi-version is a flag that controls the GNU C++ front-end, it is not
communicated to the library and since this is a core front-end issue,
I don't see any way in which libstdc++-v3 could protected itself.

On the other hand, libstdc++-v3 has some abi testing testsuite and we
didn't notice any regression on that topic (at least I'm not aware of
any such).

-- Gaby