From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-14 13:18:52

that has been posted to gmane.comp.python.c++ as well.

Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the main developer of Kig [1]. I have just committed the code for
> python scripting to the CVS repository

Using Boost.Python? Cool!

> but I'm receiving bug reports from people not able to compile the
> new code because of the small typename problem that was fixed in
> Boost.Python some time ago [2] ( the fix is in CVS, right ? ).

Yes.

> Are there any plans to release a fixed version of Boost.Python any
> time soon

No specific plans, no.

> and what is the policy on Boost.Python releases in general ?

In general, they are released when all of Boost is ready. I think it
would be a *really* good idea for Boost to do at least one minor
version release shortly after any major version release. Now that we
have a reasonable testing strategy it should be relatively easy.
Boost 1.30.0 went out with several bugs IIRC.

> thanks
> domi
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] http://edu.kde.org/kig
>
> [2] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2003-May/003889.html and
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2003-May/003896.html

Until we get our act together, I would suggest you supply people with
a Boost patch. Use "BOOST_DEDUCED_TYPENAME" instead of "typename" so
you don't break VC6. Sorry,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting