From: jhopkin_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-07-18 10:19:42

Having to program in the 'real world' probably affects code designs
(adversely) less than you think. I think the 'real world' argument is a too
common excuse for poor design. (I don't mean to imply that your design is
poor - just that the 'real world' argument should be used sparingly :-) ).

The error handling guidelines
(http://www.boost.org/more/error_handling.html) seem to be exactly relevant
to your situation:

"Sometimes it is necessary to have resilient APIs which can stand up to
nearly any kind of client abuse, but there is usually a significant cost to
this approach. For example, it usually requires that each object used by a
client be tracked so that it can be checked for validity. If you need that
sort of protection, it can usually be provided as a layer on top of a
simpler API."

-Virus scanned and cleared ok