From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-20 19:47:15

At 05:13 PM 7/20/2003, Misha Bergal wrote:

>Something seems to be wrong to me tough. The programming languages
>(environments) introduced lately do not implement fixed-point only
decimal
>numbers.

Fixed-point is used in applications driven by external requirements, not by
what is or isn't available in programming languages.

>I believe that we might be on the wrong track here. It seems to me that
we
>might be doing something obsolete and not needed any more (in form
proposed
>by the submitter).

That's possible, but my guess is that it is going to be a long time before
floating-point becomes acceptable in the broad world of business, industry,
and government. Try it on your tax return and see what kind of a response
you get:-?

>It reminds me the Boost.thread library semaphore discussions, where the
>A.Terekhov and B.Kempf strongly argued for not including the semaphores
in
>Boost.Thread library on the basis of that being an obsolete and unsafe
>abstraction (please forgive me I am misstating the facts - I haven't
>followed the discussion closely enough)

Uh... In the applications I have in mind it is floating-point arithmetic
that has a bad reputation for producing technically correct answers that
are dead-wrong in terms of the application's needs.

One common way to handle such programming is to used integer arithmetic
with an implied decimal point. That gets really messy and is subject to
many programming errors. Having a fixed-point class would seem to be a big
improvement. Hard to tell for sure without using such a class in practical
applications, however.

--Beman