From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-26 15:36:46

Hi,

On Saturday 26 July 2003 04:27, E. Gladyshev wrote:
> It was not exactly my experience. The ammount of code
> just to manage the GUI states and data transfer
> between GUI structures and internal application
> reperesentations is huge.

I agree with this, but I don't think that an STL like interface will solve the
problem. One reason is that only a small portion of all GUI widgets is
container like.

AFAICS the main problem with data transfer between GUI and application is that
it is bi-directional and that more often than not conversions are required.
E.g. numerical values need to be converted to their textual presentation,
they might need to be scaled first to adjust for different units (km/m) used
for presentation. Currently the conversions are done in different parts of
the code depending on the direction, thus begging for inconsistency.

I would like to see something like this :

!Pseudocode;

double app_data;

Widget* line_edit;

Binding app_data_connection
 (ref(app_data) >> scale(10.) >> to_string(fixed(), precision(2)));

// Move app_data to Widget
app_data_connection.write();

// Update app_data from Widget
app_data_connection.read();