From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-26 22:56:47

> Identifying that
> magic "slice"
> of the problem, might be the tricky bit.

That's the key.

> Rightly or wrongly they all
> ended up
> involving state-machine technology. Couldn't deal
> with the
> inherent async nature of GUIs without it. Has this
> been
> considered? It is to be specifically avoided?

I agree 100%. State machines are the nature of GUIs.
However it is tedious to design a complete and
detailed state machine for every GUI component in your
app. I think this is one of the major reasons for so
many bugs in GUI applications.

Your notes made me think of a consistent
reperesentation of state machines in terms of C++
templates. It should be generic enough to be used in
all sorts of things.

And yes, in the basic widget library, the state
machine issues are to be specifically avoided (if
possible).

Eugene