From: Brock Peabody (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-29 15:38:23

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Gregory Colvin
> Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:15 PM
> To: Boost mailing list
> Subject: Re: [boost] Re: GUI/GDI template library
>
> On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 12:25 America/Denver, Brock Peabody
wrote:
> > I don't think custom resource files would be any easier to edit that
> > inline C++ code. I think they would be much less easy to edit and
> > read.
>
> It's been a few years, but the last time I was writing a GUI
application
> for an international market the shops in Japan, Korea, and Ireland
that
> we paid to localize the application required platform-native resource
> files as their starting point. Neither custom resources nor C++ code
> would have been acceptable. And before that, when I was at XVT, we
put
> a lot of work into supporting native resource files in our portable
GUI
> toolkit.

It might not be too hard to make the GUI objects 'serialize' themselves
into a native resource file but this would be useless without something
to convert a resource file back into C++ code. Something like this
could be written on top of a pure C++ solution with the help of a
serialization library.