From: brock (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-03 20:19:28

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philippe A. Bouchard" <philippe_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 8:04 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GUI/GDI template library

> brock wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Having a library with an interface that
> > leverages the advantages of modern C++ saves me a lot more time than
> > what I spent making the library.
>
> That is true. Maintenance is important also.
>
> [...]
>
> > I've been proposing, something like:
> >
> > gui_manager<employee> app = row( "name", edit(&employee::ssn));
> >
> > app.set_data(get_employee());
> >
> > It is in the files section with the name boost_gui.zip. If someone
> > would at least tell me that my ideas stink I would feel better :)
>
> Yeah... I am not a Boost consultant but here goes a little overview:

Thanks for taking a look!

> - You're "boost_gui/Functors.h" is already defined in <functional>...
partly
> specialize it.

A lot of stuff in the implementation is out of date. Some of it was even
written in the dark times before I found boost.

> - "boost_gui_test/dialog.cpp" is pretty cool... I like it for its
simplicity
> but the syntax could be even more elegant. Try some operator << instead
of
> a macro defined number of parameters. Nobody likes this idea.

Probably true, I think I was just looking for an excuse to try the
preprocessor library :)

> - Work on the macro defined WxWindows signal / slot mechanism; this is
ugly.
> Maybe the suggestions I've sent to Mr. Slettebo could help.

I'll have to look into that. Most of the signal/slot stuff I do (if I get
your intention correctly) relies on boost::function<>.

Brock