From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-04 05:43:36

Well, I'll just tag a final comment on here, no need for reply. I hadn't
been aware of the Samet work; my approach was (obviously) via the topology
of metrizable spaces, which is a pretty abstract animal. The cross-product
definition of "spatial containers" you cite is, of course, exactly the
definition from that branch of mathematics. The two data objects in your
library, though are two aspects of that definition: the "metric" is the
Cartesian relation itself, while the "spatial container" represents objects
in the range of the metric.

So while I still feel the names are ill-chosen, and could be made more
general and correct...given that they're well-accepted names in the branch
of CS you're working in, and that they result in such a nice FLA <g>, I
concede the issue and leave the opposition in possession of the field. And
I apologize for my penchant for obscurantist metaphors <g>. Gee, ain't I
magnanimous?

I'm guessing that the Samet text you mentioned is an application of metric
topology, likely restricted to the more common engineering cases, to
algorithmic design. Another book to add to the old "list of reading I can't
afford to buy and don't have time to read" <g>. Sounds interesting, though.

Post Scriptum...

Hmmmn. Sorry for this, but I feel the urge for a Parthian Shot, since it
just occurred to me. Is it possible that some of the confusion of types is
due to the fact that there are really two branches of CS combined here? By
this, I refer to distance (in the abstract) measure and database search. It
seems another of those function/object dichotomies that's at the heart of
OOP to begin with. Queries are the main point here, but there's a sense in
which any query is irredeemably defined in terms of some metric, no matter
how abstract. When you come down to it, the whole notion of measure is
really a set-theoretic concept (well, you can define all of math from set
theory as a base, and it's one common approach, but then, you can also
define all of mathematics from other bases, such as probability theory).
Okay, that's probably stretching everyone's tolerance (damn, but I want to
make the obvious pun there... <g>) for OT material, so I have hereby ceased
and desisted. Like I said, no need for reply, unless anything I said was
actually interesting or useful.

Reid Sweatman