From: Pascal Bleser (pascal.bleser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-05 01:47:04

Beman Dawes wrote:
> At 10:04 AM 8/4/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
> >Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >> aCC tells me that it's the same function... yuck...
> >> Agreed, it's a sick compiler
> >You've hit the nail on the head.
> >> , but nevertheless...
> >> I will try once more using STLport, but it's not about the STL IMHO.
> >My advice? Don't waste your time. Use GCC or some non-sick compiler
> >for your platform, or, sadly, give up on Boost until HP gets their
> >act together.
> Dave's 100% right, AFAIC.

Well, if things were that simple, we would have used GCC 2.x/3.x on HP-UX as well.
Unfortunately, we have to link against 3rd party C++ libraries (Tuxedo (CORBA), actually) that have
been compiled with aCC (*gasp* even with the old roguewave STL - they don't even have the std
namespace).

This gets a little off-topic, but has anybody had any success linking together objects that have
been compiled with g++ and aCC on HP-UX ?

> HP appears to be unresponsive, I'm afraid. It has gotten to the point
> where it is costing them long-time customers, but aCC still can't
> compile modern C++ code very well. A shame.

The strange thing is that aCC isn't that bad for certain things.
It has interesting warnings and good hints in its error messages.
But then again, it's just some broken piece of crap when you use more advanced/modern C++
constructs, as in BOOST.

--
   -o) Pascal Bleser             ATOS Origin/Aachen(DE)
   /\\ System Architect  <pascal.bleser_at_[hidden]>