From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 05:49:40

From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 12:53 PM 8/6/2003, Russell Hind wrote:
>
> >Beman Dawes wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think people were against the idea of solving the problem, but
> >> rather there is a need for a unified prefix/suffix header solution
such

> >> as John is suggesting. Developers need a "canned" solution; they can't
> >> be asked to code #ifdefs and pragmas for compilers they know nothing
> >about.
> >>

> >I thought people were against it for reasons of setting up test cases
> >and such, not because of the implementation.
>
> Well, some of us are trying to get out of doing additional work:-)

Not really. Prefix/suffix headers certainly work well for self-contained
libraries (i.e. regex). The problem is that we have both inline and
out-of-line libraries that depend on each other, and some of our users (
e.g. me :-) ) only need the first category.

To make out-of-line libraries "plug and play" we may have to prefix/suffix
all* inline libraries as well, making their users pay for something they do
not need.

* Under the assumption that they are potential future dependencies.