From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 06:54:51

Russell Hind wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>>
>> To make out-of-line libraries "plug and play" we may have to
>> prefix/suffix all* inline libraries as well, making their users pay
>> for something they do not need.
>>
>> * Under the assumption that they are potential future dependencies.
>>

> I understand this (and it was because signals relies on shared_ptr
> that I was bitten by it),

The main problem with shared_ptr 1.30.x and below is that the single- and
multithreaded versions are incompatible. The CVS version is now binary
compatible on Windows, so 1.31 will "work" across different threading
models; still, the correct default for Borland should probably be to do a
multithreaded build.

By the way, this can't be fixed with prefix/suffix headers.

> but by default the libraries are all built using
> the default compiler option for the tool. The inlined (header-only)
> library are only tested against that default set, so why not enforce
> that default set for all boost libraries? If an individual library
> author then wants to enforce another set (different alignment or
> something) for optimisation purposes, then let then over-ride the
> defaults,

But I don't want to enforce a set. I want (for example) shared_ptr to use
whatever set the user has specified and not to override his settings.