From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 08:07:25

Peter Dimov wrote:

> The main problem with shared_ptr 1.30.x and below is that the single- and
> multithreaded versions are incompatible. The CVS version is now binary
> compatible on Windows, so 1.31 will "work" across different threading
> models; still, the correct default for Borland should probably be to do a
> multithreaded build.
>
> By the way, this can't be fixed with prefix/suffix headers.

No, you still need single/multi-threaded builds, but with out headers, I
then need to add in 4-byte alignment builds, 8-byte alignment builds,
different builds for different calling conventions etc. It doesn't get
easy, especially for existing projects. We either end up making a
custom build of the boost libs for each project? That would become a
maintanence nightmare.

How would you feel if you had to re-build your compiler's RTL just so
you could change some project options?

> But I don't want to enforce a set. I want (for example) shared_ptr to use
> whatever set the user has specified and not to override his settings.

Then we put options in to ignore the pre-post config headers so users
can user there own settings if they wish, but it appears to me that most
people don't care what options are set, they would just rather have it
work, and currently, its very easy to break things as soon as you use a
compiled lib.

Thanks

Russell