From: Bohdan (gejrlaug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-07 16:07:41

"Philippe A. Bouchard" <philippe_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Bohdan wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> There are a lot of good reasons why we would not always want to have
> >> total control.
> >
> > "Not always" means "sometimes not" ?
> > According to this logic your gui language is
> > layer built on top of interface proposed by me
> > ... just for convenience. Right ?
>
> I looks like a competition between the two of you...

No. My apologises, if my posting were too offensive for somebody.
Unfortunately my english is far from being perfect.
Everything i want is to clarify the idea of incoming
modern gui library and particularly 'gui sublanguage'.
I'm very interested in this library and this is the only
source of emotions. No wars, only questions, doubts and ideas.

> >> I want my applications to be as simple as possible, and
> >> to all look the same.
> >
> > Generally GUI applications are semantically complicated.
> > Forget about "universal cure" from this. Everithing you can
> > do is to symplify development in some cases.
>
> It doesn't make sense to start positionning every widget manually like this.
> What if you find you're interface ugly (p = 0.90) the first time and you
> have found a better idea? You are going to retype the position of every
> widgets in the whole application?!?

No. Look at Borland VCL lib. It handles autosizing/alignment without
significant problems. Anyway, i agree there a lot of interesting
ideas for improvements in this field.

> If you are planning to do this, I
> suggest to use another GUI application which will generate the spaghetti
> part of you're code.

Another GUI application may require much more complicated behavior than
gui-sublanguage can propose.

regards,
bohdan