From: Randy Bowen (rbowen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 12:05:27

On the specific issue of MSVC integration: Assuming you're using MSVC
7.[01], the mapping of file extensions to editors is declared in the
registry. Specifically, the entries under
"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Languages\File Extensions" are
extension keys whose default value is the CSLID of the editor. So
simply creating a new entry for ".ipp" and copying the CLSID listed for
".cpp" will give you your C++-specific editing features in MSVC. (We do
this as part of our standard installation here, since ".tpl" is an
standard extension for template implementation files internally.)

Whether use of ".ipp" as a standard extension is a good idea is, of
course, a different discussion.

Randy Bowen
Stamps.com