From: Bohdan (gejrlaug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-09 18:47:32

"E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> --- John Torjo <john.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > Basically, I don't think you should be concerned
> > about data at such a low
> > level.
> >
> > I think there should be a layer that represents gui
> > objects (windows, views,
> > controls, dcs, etc.), and ON TOP OF THIS, have
> > representations of data,
> > based on real-life scenarios.
> >
> > Like, for a list_control that should show employees,
> > we would expect it to
> > show an array of employees. Therefore, have a
> > list_control_with_data< employee> employees_list;
>
> Thanks for taking a look at it.
> Good point. Actually your suggestion is not different
> from mine.
> Your code:
> list_control_with_data< employee> employees_list
>
> My code:
> edit<int> tst;
> tst << 1;

It looks like pesistency lib can be useful here.
I mean converting objects to 'display strings'
or putting to/from 'memento' during
create/edit/delete operations.

> The confusion is that your interpretation (more
> traditional) of a modern GUI framework is a bit
> different from notus. We are not concerned with
> building low-level controls. The low-level
> implementation is basically proveded by the platform
> (Mac, win32, etc.). Notus is just going to be using
> it. Notus's objective is exaclty to connect the
> 'real-world' data (STL containers, etc) to the
> low-level GUI. In fact, the data-GUI connection and
> data/GUI management policies IS a low-level for notus,
> below is just a presentation layer. Traditional GUI
> toolkits are mostly concerned with the presentation
> level, notus is not! (well to a degree)

IMHO, low level GUI can be supported too.
It is not as important as 'native GUI' support,
however it can be proof that something written
using modern c++ techniques is better than
something written on C 10 years ago :).

regards,
bohdan