From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-11 12:48:10

At 07:37 AM 8/11/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
>Aleksey Gurtovoy <agurtovoy_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> Assuming I'm release manager for 1.31.0, I'm going to publish explicit
>>> release criteria for key platform/compiler pairs. Basically, the
>>> criteria will be 100% accounting for all failures on those
>>> platform/compiler pairs.
>>
>> While I totally support the failures markup goal, I would like to see
>> _the_ release criteria to include "no regressions from the previous
>> release" item as well, preferrably for all non-beta compilers that are
>> currently under regression testing. Especially since now we have tools
>> to ensure it.
>
>I worry a little about requiring library authors not to regress on
>compiler combinations they don't test with. For example, who is going
>to address the one lexical_cast failure that's plaguing the 1.30.2
>release? It's only on intel-7.1 with STLPort and looks for all the
>world like a config problem.

It can be very time consuming to track down the exact reason for failures.
Thus we should focus our 1.31.0 effort on a small number of widely used
compilers which don't have a lot of problems.

For a lightly used toolset like intel-7.1 with STLPort, "looks for all the
world like a config problem" seems like a good enough resolution to me.

--Beman