From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-21 12:14:57

At 03:11 AM 8/20/2003, Misha Bergal wrote:

>Russel Hill <russh347_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Martin Wille wrote:
>>
>> > I'm currently considering adding gcc-3.3.1/stlport to the tests.
>>
>> Since we are using boost/stlport/gcc-3.3.1... 1) What kind of
>> resources does it take to run the regression tests?
>
>Speaking of our regression test (http://tinyurl.com/kkns):
>
>We have 2GHz Pentium IV with 512MB of memory. Clean run (delete old
>results, get sources from CVS, run regression tests), creating reports
>and uploading the results takes about 4 hours.

I've got a 3 GHz machine with 1 gigabyte, so it takes proportionally less
time.

Also, I don't normally run from scratch. So if there are no/few changes in
CVS, the Win32 run takes less than ten minutes.

One other point: as more people run tests, it shakes residual bugs/problems
out of the test mechanisms. That helps all the testers.

>* From my standpoint: it would be nice to know that if we were
> temporarily unable to run tests for one reason or another - there
> would somebody else who can provide that service (Actually,
> currently we are the second Windows regression test runners, first
> is Beman Dawes)

It has been a tremendous help for the MetaCommunications Engineering folks
to be running a second set of tests. It has been very helpful to me
personally, plus it ensures coverage even when one of the tests doesn't run
for one reason or another.

And, yes, having a third set of Win32 tests would be useful.

--Beman