From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-21 12:28:41

At 04:54 AM 8/21/2003, Daryle Walker wrote:
>This is on <http://www.boost.org/>. Look at the second link of the
>first line under the 19-Aug-2003 entry of "Latest News", which
>corresponds to 1.30.2. Someone used a backslash [\] for a URL-part
>separator instead of the proper regular-slash [/].
>
>I guess the last writer uses Windows. But, it seems that there are
>many HTML writers with Windows that make the same mistake. Why do I
>say this? Because the server software for our site will internally
>correct the mistake! It doesn't do a redirect, it just internally
>exchanges the "%5C" for slashes while computing the corresponding file.
> This incurs a slight slowdown.
>
>Doesn't someone here use a script to check the quality of our text
>files before publishing? If so, maybe the script could be modified to
>check the URLs (inside HTML files only?) for slash screw-ups.

See http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/inspection_report.html
which is run almost every day. It is currently reporting 27 bad URL's.

See boost-root/tools/inspect/index.html for more information. Feel free to
suggest patches to detect even more errors.

But detecting all the errors in the world doesn't do any good if no one
fixes them (hint!). Presumably for 1.31.0 at least some of the problems
will get fixed, of course.

--Beman