From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-21 20:58:41

At 04:06 PM 8/21/2003, Rainer Deyke wrote:

>This is getting far too complicated for my taste. Why not remove
>portability checking from filesystem::path entirely, and provide external
>checking functions for those who want or need them?

Because the automatic conversions from char* and string wouldn't apply,
greatly inconveniencing those who are concerned about portability.

Don't confuse complicated design discussions with complicated designs. The
design discussions in this case are complicated because we wish to ensure
the design isn't.

--Beman