From: Daryle Walker (dwalker07_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-27 00:06:22

On Sunday, August 24, 2003, at 6:49 PM, Janusz Piwowarski wrote:

> On Sunday, August 24, 2003, 7:15:11 AM, Daryle Walker wrote:
>
>> I have a "CVS Quick Reference Card" lying around, and the entries for
>> "checkout" and "update" have a sub-option "-j REV" that says "Merge
>> in changes". That can't fuse one branch into another? (I wouldn't
>> want to potentially hose our CVS experimenting with this. Any
>> experts out there that know what this sub-option does?)
>
> You're right, -j option with update command can merge changes between
> branches. It works ok, marks places changed in both branches with
> standard cvs markers >>>> and <<<<.

Would you start with a checked-out archive of the main trunk then apply
"update -j" with the 1.30.x branch, or use a checked-out archive of the
1.30.x branch and apply "update -j" with the main trunk? We would want
the results to be in the main trunk.

Will the command tell us which files get the CVS markers, so we can fix
them up before other people start downloading (hopefully)? What
happens to binary files?

Daryle