From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-27 06:15:51

Ross Smith <rosss_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> Ross Smith <rosss_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>>Which leads to three questions:
>>>
>>>(1) How do we do this?
>> Do what? Get all multithreaded libraries automatically with zero
>> user
>> intervention on the command-line? You convince the Boost developers
>> who told me single-threading should be the default when I started
>> Boost.Build that they were wrong, and I change the default.
>
> What the hell is the matter with you?

I was a bit miffed by your outraged response to my explanatory reply.
I thought I was being helpful and instead I got "when did you stop
beating your wife?" questions like #2 and #3 below. How is anyone
supposed to answer those?

> All I asked was how to set the multithreaded option.

That question wasn't clear from your posting. As far as I could tell
you were asking how to "just run bjam with no options and get the libs
built with thread support". Maybe if you applied a little less heat
it would be easier to help you. Sarcastic rhetoric may have hurt the
comprehensibility of your request.

http://www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm documents how to
set the build request on the command-line, and you can in fact find a
mention of <threading>multi in there if you dig hard enough.

> I looked in the documentation and couldn't find it. Are you too l33t
> to answer questions from mere users now?

Ask me a question which is more than just a way to vent your
frustration and I'm happy to try to answer it.

>>>(2) Why isn't it documented? Are users supposed to know about this bit
>>> of voodoo by clairvoyance, or what?
>> Yes.
>>
>>>(3) How many other undocumented gotchas like this are lurking in there?
>> 63 and a half.
>
> Yeah yeah. Just keep taking the tablets, as the good Lord said to Moses.

Oh, so *that's* where the visions came from! ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting