From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-29 11:48:29

--- Gregory Colvin <gregory.colvin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[...]
> > Does it make sense?
>
> Not to me. Sounds like a very broken allocator design.

If I assume that I going to have a full control over my allocator
instances (not a very unusual assumption), there is nothing
broken here. Whether it is broken or not should be discussed
in a specific context.

Anyway, my point was that the shared_ptr( Data* p, Deleter ) has
a *potential* problem that was not obvious even to to some people here.
(it may not be obivous to other developers).
Like I said, I don't think that it is a big deal as soon
as we state a set of requirements for boost
"deleters"/allocators. (STL standard has).
The "Common Requirements" section in the shared_ptr description
doesn't seem to have them.
Perhaps the established requirements will be used by other
libraries as well.

BTW.
I am also concerned about the boost::signals library.
It seems like this library could be very usefull for
embedded (real-time?) development but it hides std::allocator.

If we cannot come up with memory management policies for boost,
perhaps we can define a set of no-so-strict guidlines for
boost developers.

Eugene