From: Jon Kalb (Kalb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-05 12:17:39

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20030905075447.014a25c8_at_[hidden]>,
 Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> At 03:55 AM 9/5/2003, Jon Kalb wrote:
>
> >Is anyone working on implementations of the filesystem library for other
> >(than POSIX or Windows) platforms?
> >
> >Specifically, I've been considering working on a Macintosh
> implementation,
> >but I want to know if anyone else is currently working on it.
>
> I'm not aware of anyone working on a Macintosh implementation.
>
> It would be great if you could contribute one.

Yes it would. :)

> Just out of curiosity, how different (from a filesystem standpoint) is the
> modern Mac OS from POSIX? Can you just add a bit to the POSIX
> implementation, or does the Mac really need a completely new
> implementation?

My response to these questions is, "I don't know." (There are several
knowledgable Mac devs on this list that could probably give meaningful
answers.) Getting the answer to these questions would be my first step.

Although I haven't done it, I think you can treat OS X as a POSIX target
and the POSIX filesystem implementation would be pretty happy with that.
Perhaps no tweaking required at all. But can you do this from a Carbon
application that uses the Metrowerks Standard Library which is where I
(and most C++-loving Mac devs that I know) live? I doubt it, but I
wouldn't be terrible surprised to be proven wrong.

I won't know for about three weeks if I will have the time to work on
this. I hope to have the answers by then.

--
Jon Kalb                SmartFriends(TM) U: Languages and Libraries
Kalb_at_[hidden]    Sept. 26-28       http://SmartFriends.com/U